Looking for help to publish your book?
First things first. Our advice to authors is always the same:
- Finish your book
- Turn off the creative side of your brain
- Turn on the business side of your brain
- Learn what other indie authors are doing
- Talk to Scribbulations about what you can do for yourself and what you need help with
[Note: Scribbulations is closed to submissions through spring 2017. However, we are still open for advice! Contact Us.]
Who We Are…
Scribbulations LLC was founded in 2005 by Kit Bardsley and Ed Charlton while they were both members of The Write Group based in Montclair, New Jersey.
In 2006, Scribbulations published Gratitude With Attitude, thirty short stories, all with the title’s underlying theme. An editorial board composed of members of The Write Group underwrote the book and chose the stories to be included from stories submitted by authors from across the US and Canada. The experience was enlightening and informative, and the entertaining collection of stories is available here.
In 2007, Scribbulations, under Managing Member Ed Charlton, began offering services to authors: editing and manuscript preparation to those submitting their work to agents and publishing houses, as well as additional services of design, layout, cover creation, and proofreading to authors publishing their own works to niche markets.
Since 2011, Grace Spampinato has worked with Ed on Scribbulations’ administration and providing copyediting and proofreading services. Working many years for a well-known financial institution, Grace earned commendations for her writing skills, which she credits to an excellent Catholic grammar and high school education. But seeking formal accreditation for editing skills, Grace completed a Professional Certificate in Copy Editing with the University of California-San Diego Extension in 2011 with an “A” GPA.
Thanks for your interest in Scribbulations. Let us know how we can help you.
The best way to contact us is through the Contact Us page.
What We Are…
Scribbulations offers services for authors: editing and preparation of manuscripts for submission to agents and publishing houses. For those with a book aimed at a niche market, we offer services from manuscript preparation, editing and all the way through printing and order fulfillment.
- We do not take on every project an author may request: we limit ourselves to books from authors who we believe have a good chance at reaching their target audience.
- We work with paperback, hardback, and digital books.
- We offer books for sale through online bookstores.
- We make books available, by order, through local bookstores.
- We can offer limited editions of books for sale exclusively through scribbulations.com.
- We pay the author royalties on each copy sold.
- We offer author discounts.
- We charge authors for the services they need; we do not force unnecessary packages. For example, we charge for cover design if we create the cover, but authors are free to create their own or use a third party to do so. In addition, all books need to be professionally edited and proofread. We offer editing and proofreading services, but again authors are free to use third parties.
We believe, as all publishers do, that it is essential for the author to promote his or her own work. We can go a long way in making each book the best it can be, and making it widely available, but the author has a large part to play in its eventual success.